FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poker Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
My Head Hurts 90
(Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:17 pm)

Post     Poker Question

Let's say I put someone all in, is it legal for them to flip their cards over try to get a read on me and then decide if they want to fold or call? I only ask this because someone pulled this on me a week ago and I got pissed because I gave away a little hint because I wasn't expecting it to happen.

This sounds awfully bullshit, but the guy swears that you can do it in Vegas.

Last edited by My Head Hurts 90 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryoko's Biatch
(Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:21 pm)

Post     Re: Poker Question

Sounds like bullshit to me, but I don't play poker much.
Magic Juan
(Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 pm)

What the hell, no, you have to decide to call before you flip.
Servbot
Overrated faggot
(Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 pm)

Your ass got Punk'd. Wait until Chris reads this.
Stupid Fucking Faggot
Stupid 30 fuckbag who likes DBZ
(Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:52 pm)

If any part of a hand is exposed for any reason while action is still to be decided, the hand is dead.

This is the standard rule in every card room I've been in.

This WASN'T ALWAYS THE CASE, and it isn't necessarily the case everywhere you go. Any game can have any rules the establishment wants. But this rule is logical for obvious reasons. Pulling this angle is WAY more likely to give you an unfair advantage than fucking string betting, and every human on Earth shits their pants when someone string bets.

If you watch the tape of the 81 World Series, once it gets down to heads up between Perry Green and Stu Ungar, you see Perry Green hemming and hawing about calling a bet from Stuey, and he turns up his fucking cards WHILE HE'S DECIDING!

I might be wrong about some part of that, or the editing might have been off, but I remember something along those lines happening.

Maybe nobody cared in that situation because Stuey was a monster created in a lab specifically to play cards and Perry didn't have a chance anyway.

Anyway, the guy you were playing with is an angle-shooting cock.
Stupid Fucking Faggot
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:03 am)

Stu Ungar was the Goku of cards.

If he were still alive today, nobody would ever be able to compete with him.

Too bad he was a fucking trainwreck as a person!

But I guess that whole BOBBY FISCHER SYNDROME is just something that happens.
Stupid Fucking Faggot
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 am)

One of the reasons Ungar eventually took up poker exclusively was because gin action had dried up due to his reputation. Ungar virtually destroyed anyone who challenged him in a gin match including a professional widely regarded as the best gin player of Ungar's generation, Harry "Yonkie" Stein. Ungar reportedly beat Stein so badly in a high stakes gin match that Stein dropped out of sight in gin circles and eventually stopped playing professionally. As one observer who knew him put it- "(Stein) was never the same after that night".

After beating Stein and several other top gin professionals, Ungar was a marked man. Nobody wanted to play him in a gin match because of his superior skill. In the hopes of generating more action for himself, Ungar began offering potential gin opponents handicaps to even the playing field. He was known to let his opponent (professional or not) look at the last card in the deck, offer rebates to defeated opponents and always play each hand in the dealer position, all of which put him at a decisive disadvantage.

One story Ungar recalled was when a known cheater at gin called to set up a match with him. Ungar knew the man was a cheater as well but agreed to play him for money anyway. During the match, Ungar's bodyguard (sent by his financial backers because in those days the backers of a losing player at times assaulted or killed a winning player and took their money back) noticed the man was cheating. The bodyguard pulled Ungar aside and was irate while telling him. Ungar calmly told the bodyguard "I know he's cheating. Don't worry. I'll beat him anyway", and he did.
Stupid Fucking Faggot
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:24 am)

The whole bio is very good!

For some reason he makes me think of Theldorrin, if Theldorrin were smarter and a huge gambling and crack fiend.

Ungar's friends often said he "ate like a wild animal". Ungar saw eating as something that had to be gotten out of the way so he could get back to gambling action. He would often call restaurants ahead of time and place an order for himself and everyone in his party so it was ready at the same time his table was when he got there.

Sexton noted that because Ungar would pay for everyone in his dining party, regardless of how expensive the meal was, it was impossible to argue with his method. Ungar would race in to the restaurant, shovel the food down as fast as he could, throw cash for the entire meal plus a generous tip on the table and be ready to leave, even if the rest of his party had just barely started on drinks or appetizers.

I don't know, that's just so Theldorrinish somehow.
Servbot
Overrated faggot
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:39 am)

See what you've done MHH? Now apologize to the rest of us!
Theldorrin
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:17 pm)

Chris just did a massive troll, there.
Roy
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:35 pm)

That guy is awesome but not as much as Matthew Outland's grandfather. He once beat a butcher in poker, and when he didn't have enough money to pay, he fucking made his children confiscate all his meat for payment!
Matthew Outland
The sum of all the arguments Theldorrin makes for not having children.
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:54 pm)

Hey, MHH, the Four Tops are much better than the Temptations you boring idiot.
Potatoes
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 pm)

So there!
Magic Juan
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:59 pm)

Ungar later said in his biography that he loved seeing his opponent slowly break down over the course of a match, realizing he could not win and eventually get a look of desperation on his face. "It was fucking beautiful" he noted.
Mautty
I bet my wife supports a bigger deadbeat jackass liar than yours.
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:15 pm)

Is that texas guy outland? I mean it would have to be to make such a wrong statement.
My Head Hurts 90
(Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm)

Thankfully, the play didn't really affect the outcome of the game (he had A8 I had A6 and we ended up splitting), but this hasn't been the first time that guy has done it, just the first time in about 3 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: