FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTU Music Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
ALDP
(Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:15 pm)

Post     Re: FTU Music Club

Hey guys I'm not reading anyone's reviews because mine still isn't done yet, but can we agree to raise the time limit from one to two weeks? I know that makes it way less rapidfire and exciting and maybe we'll want to go back to one week eventually, but two weeks might be better while we're getting used to THE GAME.
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 pm)

My balls in your mouth.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:55 pm)

I'd prefer to keep it at one week and would ask that we put this motion to a vote.
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:43 pm)

Nay.
Ryoko's Biatch
(Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:59 am)

I guess I'll start by saying that I'm not a fan of folk music, so if you like that shit, you can disregard everything I say. The singing was wack as fuck and the guitar was competent. There really wasn't anything special about this album, at least from the perspective of someone who doesn't really fuck with this genre.

I probably should have listened to this more than once to give a better review, but I just was not feeling it.

2/5
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 am)

Dunn, I'm cool with once a week, but I guess we can't force these lazy asses.
My Head Hurts 90
(Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:32 am)

I'd like it to keep it once a week, if only because going to two weeks means it'll take 3 months just to get through a single rotation.
MADali
(Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:08 am)

I've pretty much listened to the four albums already anyway. I've not listened to MJ's, because I'm not sure if that fag is in the club or not.
Mike Dunn
(Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:57 am)

So how about this:

We keep it at one review per week, with Sunday being the "soft deadline". Ideally everyone should get their reviews in on Sunday, but if they can't get it submitted in time, it will be acceptable to write a review for that album all the way up to the following Saturday.

If the next Sunday rolls around and you haven't reviewed the previous Sunday's album yet, you've missed your chance to review it and have to move onto the next album. If you blow it too often you're out of the club.

Does everyone think they can review Brett's album by this Saturday and the next album by the following Saturday?

And are we reviewing my album next?
ALDP
(Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:27 am)

Yeah I can't see any problems with that!
Mike Dunn
(Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:25 am)

Alright, no one else has reviewed Brett's album yet, so now I'm thinking we should play it loose for this first round, but once we get to round 2 we should be diligent about sticking to the deadlines outlined above.
ALDP
(Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:01 pm)

And our rotation will go in the order that the albums are currently listed? Or will it be shuffled each time? I obviously have some stake in this but I don't see any reason to fux with a normal rotation.

I guess if it's up to MADali to download the albums, it would be considerate to make your next pick ASAP, right? And it should probably be a rule that you can't change your mind... I don't know if any kind of deadline would be useful, like make your pick before the person immediately before you's week begins? IDK. I'm hoping to post something about The Modern Lovers plus my review for The Wild Hunt at some point tomorrow. And ideally I should review Mike D's pick by Sunday but it will probably be early next week.
ALDP
(Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:49 pm)

The Wild Hunt
The Tallest Man On Earth

Length: 34:38

My first impression of this album was that any of the songs could be in an appalling, twee car commercial about hipsters with children. My other first impression was that most people would probably be able to tell within the first 20 seconds whether or not they liked this album. Tallest Man's vocal stylings are stylistic indeed, and I probably spent the majority of my first listen trying to pin down what disparaging comparison most suited him (Adam Sandler was the best I could come up with).

But most of the songs have pretty good hooks, and most of those rely on TM's stupid shouty voice. His singing isn't very wild, for all the trouble he goes to in making it loud. He mainly sounds like he's copping from Bob Dylan, but there are aspects of his delivery that strike me as the heavily rock tumblered average of Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse and Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel, and god knows people can't get enough of those two assholes.

His guitar playing kind of reminds me of a less interesting Nick Drake. It suits his singing well, though, and while I don't expect anyone but Brett to believe this, I actually found enough interesting musical ideas on the album to let me overlook the sissy dorkass dogshit toilet lyrics. I think if he kept his melodies and his derivative guitar style and his obnoxious, derivative singing style, but sang somebody else's lyrics, I would wholeheartedly enjoy the entire wimpy, for-girls-style package.

The proceedings end on a conclusive note with a song that has piano instead of guitar. The whole album is just shy of 35 minutes, which I really appreciate. What else was there for him to say?

TWO out of THREE STARS
ALDP
(Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:03 am)

Maybe we can let in new people at the end of the round, depending on how well we ultimately decide this one went?

Gosh, maybe we should make this into a cruel game where there's a limited number of spots and we kick out the worst player and let in a new one? That model kind of depends on a steady WAITING LIST though, and since I refuse to let Vito participate in this, we've probably only got Stefan lined up. I guess we could lower the number of spots if we wanted to make it more competitive, but I don't think TL would be begging back in if we kicked him out.

Having written all of that out, I don't see it being very feasible to make this into a game, but aside from the rule that Vito isn't allowed to participate, I don't know how else we should handle letting people in or out.
ALDP
(Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:19 am)

Sorry for the extreme lateness of my review, I'll try to have a much faster turnaround on Mike Dunn's.
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:13 pm)

Music club is so stressful! You people have forgotten what music is supposed to be about.
Sporkism
It's funny that I have a job executing cats and dogs, considering that I AM A WHORE WHO FUCKS FOR MONEY
(Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:18 pm)

I want to do this but I don't know what is going on!

@}-,-'- *~*~* Member of the FTU Elegant Tea Party Society *~*~* -'-,-{@
Ryoko's Biatch
(Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:28 am)

Join the club!
My Head Hurts 90
(Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:28 am)

Ibeyi - Ibeyi

Somewhere during my first listen of "Oya" I felt pretty excited at the prospect of not listening to the shitty blend of mellow pop stylings and capital-A African drums that is the god damn blueprint for anything that is called "world music", a sound I perhaps erroneously and also accurately associate with Erykah Badu. Naturally, it came as a bit of a surprise and a disappointment when I realized 3/4 of the way through "Weatherman" that, fuck, this is exactly like listening to Erykah Badu, even if they probably sound nothing alike.

There's nothing on the micro level to suggest this, as its parts, the two sister's knack for harmony, the weird ass organ, the unexpected jazzy dissonances, are all interesting. However, either through a lack of composing/production experience or an overreaching desire to incorporate their *heritage* into their music, all of these songs are made and developed in the exact same way. The drums are eternally stuck at 80 BPM and the heavy bass that kicks open the doors on "Oya" becomes oppressive as you go through yet another sluggish, dirge-like hymn to the earth goddess or whatever that will almost certainly end with the twins harmonizing as the percussion fades out.

That's not to say that I don't like parts of the album (Oya, Stranger/Lover,Behind the Curtain) but I'd be hard pressed to give you any specific reasons as to why that wouldn't also apply to any of the other songs on the album. The one exception to that is "Mama Says", which dials down the percussion in favor of making a bluesy piano ballad that features some really nice singing.

With the bookends to the album being prayers and all of the references to empowerment and obscure deities, Ibeyi is clearly trying to give the listener some kind of transcendent experience, but that's hard to deliver when the music is so calculated, its soul Erykah Badu'd (sorry) out of existence.

Recommend?: I can't recommend listening to the whole album, but if you go in with the idea that you will get three or four good tracks out of this and will not feel bad skipping anything, then ok.
My Head Hurts 90
(Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:04 pm)

Well, we had a good run, guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: