FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTU Music Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:57 pm)

Post     Re: FTU Music Club

That was a great review.
Mike Dunn
(Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:03 pm)

Thanks bro!
ALDP
(Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:27 am)

Great job everybody! Oh except the ones who didn't post a review, they're shit addicts.

I'll post my thoughts later tonight, maybe give Stefan and TL a chance to submit. I'm really glad that all the reviews have such different takes on reviewing, I hope we can all maintain the individuality of our ~critical voices~ as the club progresses.

Sort of in that vein, I think it's worth stating that a person's reviews don't need to meet some kind of stringent criteria. Obviously everybody should make some effort to form opinions and try to find insights about the week's pick, but it's OK if you can only come up with like a paragraph. God himself works in an extremely condensed format most of the time.[/url]
Ryoko's Biatch
(Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 pm)

Modern Lovers is decent, I guess. The first half started off pretty solidly, although I'm not a fan of their singer. He sort of has that sound of the era but without the charisma that more successful bands have. He's not bad enough to ruin a song by himself, but he made "She Cracked," "Hospital" and "Girl Friend" far worse than they already were. The second half of the album is trash. "Modern World" is okay, but it's not as good as "Roadrunner" or "Astral Plane." I'm not a music guy, tho, so I can't be as cool about this as Mike Dunn.

2.5/5
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 am)

You don't have to be a music guy, TL, to like or dislike something. It's perfectly fine not to like it. I also didn't think the guy's voice was good, and I can imagine a better voice make the album much better
Mike Dunn
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:39 am)

Yeah, don't feel obligated to change your opinion just because I like dudes with weird voices who can't carry a tune.

So are we doing Brett's album next since he was the next to make a pick?
Magic Juan
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:46 am)

I'll post my review tonight. I've listened to Modern Lovers' album a million times years ago.

Last edited by Magic Juan on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Magic Juan
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:47 am)

Brett should review his marriage and we can do a compare/contrast with MADali's marriage.
MADali
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 am)

This club is about music appreciation, not being snarky.
GimpMask
My daddy ate my eyes.
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:37 pm)

FOR ALL CASTLEVANIA FANS on google upturns a joyous YouTube medley which has yet to be trumped. It's a gorgeous ensemble which has a tear-producing pocket of melodies for even the most forlorn fans of music
ALDP
(Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 pm)

WELL Stefan???
ALDP
(Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 am)

MADali, do you mean the person whose week it is should explain their pick before the reviewing starts? Or after the reviews are in? I personally think afterwards is a lot more interesting. The reviewers won't have any PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS about why the album is good or interesting so their opinions... well it's not a sure thing, but they might show more diversity than if the picker laid down the law right away.
I dunno if I'm the only one downloading all the albums, but I'm certainly gonna listen to stuff again if a reviewer or the picker gives a compelling reason to. And obviously if I just like it too.
ALDP
(Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:12 pm)

I guess it would be useful to have something before and after, but I just don't want the before one to give everything away!
Mike Dunn
(Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 pm)

Soooo Brett's review is due Sunday, right?

Are we kicking Stefan out of the club?
MADali
(Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:39 am)

ALDP. I'm not sure how I want it. I mean, for my own album, I wouldn't mind giving you guys a brief idea on the singer & the album a bit. Not really reviewing the album, but to give you a small info on it, and I guess, why I chose that particular album.

Maybe if the person finds it necessary.

Anyway, I've listened to most of the albums by now (I did not download Stefan's album yet), so I guess I can review The Wild Hunt soon.
ALDP
(Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:39 am)

My Wild Hunt review might be on Monday because I'm out of town right now but I'm visiting my girlfriend and she loves that gay folk shit so I'll have a chance to listen a lot.

I don't see any alternative to kicking Stefan out of the club.
Magic Juan
(Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 pm)

sry I've been busy with party/pussy.

I listened to the Modern Loves a lot back in university and it really seemed like a lot of my opinions on the album changed completely.

Jonathan Richman's voice was a major draw for me back in the day, but after listening to bands like The Fall, and Pavement so much over the last few years, the songs where he doesn't use a lot of INFLECTION really get boring fast. I get that he was the prototype for the kind of speak singing along with Lou Reed, but it really sounds so half assed, tuneless and bratty that I stop paying attention. Even though Astral Plane sounds like the soundtrack for a seventies black and white Americana movie, it just sounds like he has a speech impediment.

I think that's contrasted with how TIGHT the band is. Holy shit, I don't know if it's the version of the album I'm listening to on Spotify but they sound in complete lock-step with absolute clarity. The clear production elevates music that could sound outdated and cheesy and give it a timeless, live feel. As I get older, I feel like I need bizarre music to keep me interested, but that wasn't the case during my last few listens.

I should give his voice a bit of a break- Pablo Picasso is as snotty, punky and loose as any punk/new wave that followed. He breaks through his mumbling half-apathy on Hospital and actually sounds forlorn. It's also clear to me that James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem stole his entire vocal style from I'm Straight. I love the lyrics and progression of I'm Straight, where the story of the phone call rolls out naturally and flows with the music.

Overall, a solid toefucking (B).
Mike Dunn
(Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 pm)

The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt

Singer-songwriter isn't one of my go-to genres, so take this review with a grain of salt. With that said, I've listened to my fair share, and the way I see it if you're going to make an album where it's just you and an acoustic guitar for 35 minutes, you better do something special and leave a deep impression.

The Wild Hunt is unsuccessful in this regard.

The Tallest Man On Earth (heretofor shortened to "Tall Man") weaves tales of the open road, the great outdoors, and the women he's loved and left; all well-trod ground for the genre. With lines like "Oh once I held a pony by its flying mane / And once I called the shadow in the turning game," or "Oh, I said I could rise from the harness of our goals," he might be going for some kind of poetic idiosyncrasy but it strikes me more as a Swedish dude struggling to sound cool in a second language.

It's not a terrible album. There were bits that I liked. "You're Going Back" has a great freewheeling energy that I can vibe with. The lyrics are delivered really beautifully and poignantly when "Love Is All" starts to crescendo. In fact there are quite a few moments over the course of the record where Tall Man's voice is really affecting, although his Bob Dylan aping gets tiresome. "King of Spain" is a fun lil' knee-slappin' ditty that sounds like it could be in the end credits of an episode of Girls, but I read the lyrics to that song and they are wack as fuck, Jesus Christ.

So The Wild Hunt isn't going back into my rotation anytime soon. It might be something nice to put on in the background while I fool around with a cute barista, but that's about it, and I already have Mac Demarco's last album for that. The music was boring and left no major impression on me. Sorry Brett.

2/5
My Head Hurts 90
(Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:51 am)

np
MADali
(Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:35 am)

The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt (2010)

Did irritating vocals on folksy albums start with Bob Dylan or was it always a rule they had to follow? I’ve listened to the album a lot and while it has grown on me, I can’t get past the ehh ehhhh of his singing style. My favorite song is “The Wild Hunt” where his voice works the best. But on the other hand, with songs like “Kids on the Run”, he ruins a gorgeous song with his stupid voice. When he starts “ohhhh meeeet me”, I kept wishing he’d just written the song and given it to someone else to sing.

“Love is All” is the same. How beautiful would the song be if someone like Leonard Cohen was singing it? And it’s not like Cohen has the best voice, but it has emotion, which Kristian Matsso doesn’t. When he goes, “Here come the tears/
But like always, I let them go/Just let them go” , where is the feeling?

This review is basically about all the good songs he has ruined. “A Lion’s Heart” is another. I don’t know what this means, “In that day there's a moment when it all goes your way/And you know it's a lion's heart/That will tumble and tear apart” but I know it will sound so fucking good if it was done by someone else.

I’m more lenient with him with “King of Spain”, which he doesn’t seem to ruin that much. He’s also okay in “You’re Going Back”, because he’s good with lines like, “You said, "Driver, please, don't go that fucking way". His rough voice works with “that FUCKING way”. Maybe he should be less poetic, and raw, and it might work better.

3/5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: