FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional Wrestling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:02 pm)

Post     Re: Professional Wrestling

Shit show. Shit company.

Anyway, UTILS, what you're describing isn't exclusive to SHIMMER, it's the way all indie wrestling has been for decades - almost exclusively smaller wrestlers (whom WWE won't sign) doing more daring and cutting edge in-ring shit (that WWE won't allow).

Of course, this isn't the "Introduce Independent Wrestling to Noobs" thread, so let me just point out that most of the shit in these videos I don't approve of, even as a fan of indie wrestling. I don't like lots of flip spots, even though it's what draws in the noobs like you who only know wrestling from WWE, because it's all clearly contrived and fake and I think the best wrestling can be exciting, fast-paced, and realistic.
Last edited by God on Fri Apr 05, 33 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:59 am)

It's weird, in the early 2000s I considered myself a wrestling fan, to the point of going to a few WWE (more like F at the time!) events, watching it every week, learning a fair amount about the industry, and participating in a backyard wrestling thing that my friends did, but now all of that feels like another life.

I have nothing against wrestling, I just have no interest in it whatsoever anymore.

Then again, poker is kind of the same way for me now.

And anime!
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:05 am)

I went to a RAW is WAR taping and was directly in sight of the camera and tried to do recognizable Genkidamas.

I don't remember much more about that story, but Jason might because he's kind of a Chris Psaros expert.
Mike Dunn
(Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 am)

Jason, if you have $2.99 to spare, this match is worth watching. No flippy bullshit, no cartoonish moves, just an hour of no frills man-on-man grapplin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0p6wD7EoOU
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:18 pm)

Oh wow Chris, you were into wrestling, poker, and anime during the most popular periods in each of their respective histories in this country? Fancy that.
Mike Dunn
(Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wU2re7yIs4

Hey Utils, this is a good flippy shit match. The Young Bucks are the ultimate kings of flippy shit.
Fagzilla
(Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 pm)

ACTUALLY, in all three of those cases, I got into those things *just* before they hit the mainstream.

In fact, with anime (and being a Japanfag), I was quite a few years ahead of the curve. I was living those stereotypes before they existed as stereotypes.

In fact again, society fucking riding my coattails in one thing after another, and me being accused of hopping onto the fad when the opposite is actually the case, has always been a major source of irritation in my battle against society.

So eat it!
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:36 am)

What about Donkey Kong? You were totally into that before King of Kong right?
Jason
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:27 am)

There's no fucking way you can say that shit about wrestling, and probably not poker either.

You also probably would have fallen off DBZ a lot sooner had it not caught on when it did.
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:41 am)

What would even count as being into wrestling before it hit the mainstream? Before the Monday Night Wars? But even then there was Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant who everybody knew of. It would have to be before them.
Fagzilla
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:12 am)

Well, with wrestling, that was mainly peer pressure by people like Derrick who were already into it, I guess I came in around the time when the WWF vs. WCW wars were at their height, 1999-2001 I guess.

So for me personally, I probably was in wrestling a little after the boom started. Fine, you can have that one, WHATEV.

Poker, though, poker was actually kind of uncanny, the timing there. We started playing poker arbitrarily one night in March of 2003 and I was immediately interested in it. It was a couple weeks LATER that the World Poker Tour premiered on TV, and right after that was when Chris Moneymaker won the World Series (the two events which are pretty much universally regarded as the beginning of the poker boom). So I got into the poker thing literally RIGHT BEFORE that exploded and everybody jumped on the bandwagon.

As for the classic arcade gaming scene, I've been orbiting that forever. I had a conversation with Mike Payne himself about playing Donkey Kong in like 2000. I knew about Billy Mitchell in 1999 and have old emails with a couple of my friends about him and this ridiculous interview I found, and in the conversation there's something about how "they should make a documentary about him." So I was years ahead of my time and the King of Kong producers on that one.

We can go all night, faggots! I was into the Titanic, for example, long before the movie was even an idea and all the wanna-be Titanic-philes came shuffling along.
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:33 am)

What's up with your photos on the "About the author" section of Donkey Blog? Are you ironically trying to look like a hipster?
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:34 am)

Chris, if you were into something before the "boom", than it means you were exactly just like everyone else, because there must have been enough people like you enjoying that particular thing for it to be a viable business opportunity.

That is, a show on poker would not have been explored if there was no one like you around. There existed a market for it, which businesses try to exploit.

That's like me saying, that I was into Game of Thrones before the TV show boom. But the fact that the TV show was considered to be made and the risk to have been taken to turn it into an expensive show is that there were people like me that were enough people like me that enjoyed the book to make it a reasonable probability that the show had a marketable appeal.

All that is about your "before it was cool" poker thing. Regarding your wrestling thing, it doesn't even need that explanation because its stupid. I used to watch the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hagon and Macho Man with my father, as a kid growing up in fucking Dubai, where he would rent WWF tapes from the video store where everything was pirated since there were no copyright laws back then, and my father would fast foward through all the promos and stories since we didn't understand English. How hipster of you for liking something years after everyone in the world liked it.
Fagzilla
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:37 pm)

I'll just wait for another post from Jason on the subject before replying to this attack on my character!

Sure would be a shame though, to see this thread fully diverted into such a discussion...
Fagzilla
(Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:39 pm)

Mike Dunn
(Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:12 pm)

I think I'm gonna get the BOLA 2014 DVDs. Looked like a great lineup this year.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 am)

That Today Show segment on Raw was one of the worst things that WWE have ever done. A lot of people are talking about how great it would be if Adam Rose went back to being Leo Kruger, but frankly I think there's no saving that guy and they ought to just release him ASAP. I don't want to look at his stupid face ever again.

The Rock coming back was a nice surprise, and was the only good part of the show other than that shot of Dean Ambrose looking totally bewildered by a NYC subway train (and I guess it was cool when he tonged Rollins' dick). Rusev and Lana were visibly psyched to be in the ring with The Rock and were trying pretty hard to cover it up.

The obvious trajectory here is that Rock will beat Rusev, challenge Brock for the title, and then lose to Brock. And I'm 100% okay with that. There are only a couple of people on the main roster that could beat Rusev without killing his push, and I think it's better to leave it in the hands of a "legend". It'll keep him looking strong for the future.

And Brock dismantling another all-time great is the best way to keep him the final boss of wrestling without killing someone's momentum. I'm down with anything that keeps the strap on him until Daniel Bryan comes back.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:39 am)

Oh man, that Hornswoggle vs Torito match was putrid too. Between that and the hot dog cart beatdown this Raw was classic "stupid shit that only Vince McMahon thinks is funny".

If Hell In A Cell ends with Rollins vs Cena I'm going to take a bus down to Connecticut and shit in VKM's mouth.
Jason
(Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:25 pm)

I haven't watched any of the product in a while (since Night of Champions, I guess) and the only thing I gleaned from Twitter last night was that Rock was there so right now the only thing that intrigues me is Rosa Mendez.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:48 pm)

Aaaaand it turns out that The Rock appearance was a one-off which was inserted into the show at the spur of the moment yesterday when WWE realized he was in town.

Whatever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: