FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional Wrestling
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm)

Post     Professional Wrestling

Who this thread is for:

Me (I.e., Jason; should not be read by anyone else as "Me, the reader.")
Mike Dunn
MisfitMan

What this thread is not for:

FTUW talk
Casual WWE noob questions
Hilarious wrestling promos/other videos (those belong here)
Last edited by God on Fri Apr 05, 33 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Last edited by Jason on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 pm)

Post     Re: Professional Wrestling

Mike Dunn, yesterday I watched the most recent SHIMMER show that I could get my hands on (Volume 54) and it was the best wrestling show I've seen since getting back into wrestling this year.

It was over three hours and I watched it all in a sitting, compared to the EVOLVE or ROH shows I've gotten which I've either given up, had to pace myself by watching as slow as one match every few weeks, or WWE shows which I can watch in a sitting but hate.

This show was fucking awesome! I can think of a few reasons why I liked it so much: apparently they film four events at once (two a night in a two night span), so they have to keep the matches moving in order to get through two events in a single taping. The matches were definitely shorter than a standard ROH/EVOLVE-level indie, but none of them felt rushed like a WWE undercard and all the finishes were satisfying, even the cheap heel ones.

Furthermore, I don't want to doubt the women's skills, because there were way, way fewer botches and sloppy techniques than I'd expect from indie-caliber workers, but it struck me about two-thirds through the show that there were no dives to the floor, and whether that was an overall company edict, or just a matter of how much the wrestlers were getting paid, or a matter of what they were capable of, it actually really worked. Like I've said to you, Mike Dunn, in the recent past, my suspension of disbelief since coming back to wrestling this year has plummeted and the fact that I never had to watch anybody stand around for a million years on the floor staring at their opponent in the ring calling for a tope made all of them ten times better, and what in-ring top rope stuff they did do was done very well.

There were storylines that were easy to follow, most matches had a basic heel/face structure but none were insulting about it; there were backstage promos that, unfortunately, none of which were very good, but at least they were there, unlike the EVOLVE show I've been slugging through which takes place literally exclusively in the ring, and man, just overall, I'm incredibly impressed the show and I can't wait until I can watch another one. You should definitely go to a SHIMMER show if you can, or at least watch one instead of some shitty other show featuring the Young Sucks (!!!!).
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 pm)

Sounds great, man.
Ryoko's Biatch
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:23 am)

So, would you guys rather see John Cena or Triple H in an FTUW match?
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 am)

Discuss female wrestlers in terms of feminism.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:54 am)

I expected SHIMMER (which, if you couldn't infer from my post and the name of the promotion itself, is an all-female indie promotion that prides itself on not sexualizing the wrestlers like every other like promotion has done in the past) not to be shallow in terms of how it treated the performers by appearance and, therefore, be a body positive zone, and I got what I expected - certainly there was no heel heat over women's looks; wrestler's of all shapes, sizes, and styles were competing; and they clearly try to maintain a family-friendly atmosphere. I will say, though, that with only one exception, when there was a noticeable difference in body type between opponents and one was a heel and one was a babyface, on this particular show at least, it was the larger, heavyset woman that was the bad guy.

I'd honestly give SHIMMER the benefit of the doubt here and attribute this to some other factors, such as the big women being more accustomed to working heel because they usually work in more regressive promotions, or even chalking it up to unconscious biases of the promoter; as I said, there was clearly no deliberate attempt to use their looks as a way to make them heels, and the one exception, a heavyset face named Kalamity, was one of the standout talents of the show. Their backstage interviewer is also a far cry from the traditionally attractive female interviewers most other companies would employ, and I really appreciate that.

So, overall, I would say that SHIMMER is a very body positive, feminist-friendly environment in what is an otherwise overwhelmingly oppressive industry for women.

Last edited by Jason on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:17 am)

This is my Poe's Law test of the day!

WELL PLAYED.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 am)

Please consult the first post of this thread, first list therein.
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:00 am)

I'm not a fan of wrestling, but both posts were interesting to me. Will revisit this thread for updates.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 am)

I'd definitely like to check out a SHIMMER show. Beyond Wrestling has booked a few of their workers and they've never disappointed. Also, whoa, Beth Phoenix is in SHIMMER!

Did you watch NXT Takeover 2? That Fatal 4-Way Main Event told a better in-ring story than anything I've seen in the WWE all year, and was one of the best Fatal 4-Ways I've ever seen. I legitimately had no idea who would win the entire time, and at least a few of the false finishes felt like they could truly be the end. I know it's foolish to expect anything good to happen to indy guys when they get called up to the main roster, but I'm really confident that Sami Zayn is gonna be hugely over.

The Womens Match was also great. I can't wait for Vince McMahon to die so we can start seeing some good Womens Matches on Raw and PPVs.

Bayley is so aesthetically similar to my ex-girlfriend that it's kind of scary.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 am)

I did watch Takeover and (I guess you'll notice a pattern here), I thought the women's match completely stole the show. Admittedly, I should probably rewatch the main event before I say that, because my interest had kind of wandered by that time, but Bayley and Charlotte were amazing. Even the post-match angle was restrained and had dignity.

Too bad about basically all the rest of the show. I actually think CJ Parker makes a really good heel, it's a shame to see him squashed to some dummy.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am)

Also, if you're surprised that Beth Phoenix was in SHIMMER, you might not know that Paige worked there too, along with her mother - who had a run with their world title. Her mother was on the show I watched and, being the oldest woman on the roster, was clearly the most charismatic performer there, to the point of just blatantly stealing the spotlight and chewing the scenery.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:12 pm)

I knew about Paige working there. I saw this great GIF of her pantomiming wiping her ass with some streamers.

The rest of the show was pretty ho-hum, but as a guy who doesn't watch a lot of NXT I have to say I was pretty impressed with Enzo Amore's mic skills. He's like a guido Colt Cabana.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:31 pm)

Enzo Amore was definitely eye-catching, but I agree with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer - he's like Bray Wyatt: all delivery, but I have no fucking clue or recollection of what he actually said (even more so than Wyatt). Maybe that's a result of the quality of their storylines more than his promo ability, but either way, it seems like they're training guys who can talk to talk more for pops than to actually say something memorable that connects with people.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm)

I watched the entire fifty minute long documentary that I guess Channel 4 in the UK made about Paige's family right as she was getting signed and it was really interesting.

If I ever made a wrestling show, it would be half matches and half documentary of families being destroyed by wrestling (and some music videos) and it would be great. That's how I'd book and produce NXT. I'd win awards.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 pm)

KENTA's kicks looked so crisp. I should probably get around to watching some of his matches. I should probably get around to watching puroresu in general.
Jason
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:18 pm)

I'd love to watch more puro, but I'm super averse to watching shows without English commentary. I guess I just need to know people's characters and storylines, hence why EVOLVE's lack of promos has been really off-putting to me. KENTA is incredible, though, so you should dig up his mid-'00s ROH stuff - his match with Low Ki at Final Battle, his match against Davey Richards, and teaming with Davey Richards against the Briscoes stick out in my memory, but I'm sure there was a lot more.

That Hideo Itami segment was, while it's nice that they're affording him at least some small measure of incoming respect, pretty painful!!
MADali
(Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:19 am)

Im now bored of this thread.
Fagzilla
(Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 am)

I'm not planning to post anymore in this thread, out of respect for Jason.
Fagzilla
(Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:03 am)

... though plans can always change!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: