FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sports Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
FancyMichael
A lonely fellow who couldn't bag a CHICKEN!
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 am)

Post     Re: Sports Thread

The Wizards are going to fail if they try to ELIMINATE Arenas's contract via moral turpitude. The Pacers couldn't do it with Ron Artest (yeah, I'm ripping off Simmons and Ford right here), and he tried to single-handedly destroy thousands of drunk Pistons fans with his fists.

Also, you're right. Let's stick to the criminally underdiscussed topics of bad teams getting too much play on tv, Joakim Noah being annoying, and what NFL teams are going to have success in the playoffs.
FancyMichael
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 am)

Greg Oden's injury wasn't as serious as people thought because he didn't damage any TENDONS OR LIGAMENTS. He only broke the bone and should come back at full strength.
Bladtman
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:48 am)

man I don't give a fuck what people talk about, I almost expected this thread to be 10 pages of me just talking to myself anyway. My point is that it's stupid to say "HURR YOU RETARDED FANS WHY ARENT YOU TALKING ABOUT GILBERT" when you could just bring it up if you wanted to DISCUSS it. Anything goes in the sports thread!

I wouldn't be so dismal about the Oden injury if it was some kind of freak injury, but he just JUMPED and landed on his feet and his knee exploded. The bone will heal but his body just isn't BUILT for the game, and if something as simple as jumping to contest a shot can turn into a season ending injury then it's unlikely he'll ever last through a whole NBA season. I really want Greg Oden to succeed though and I hope I'm wrong, he's a nice dude and he's already been cursed with a prematurely melted face so at least give him the ability to ball!
FancyMichael
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:54 am)

SPEAKING OF BILL SIMMONS ...

Has anyone read THE BOOK OF BASKETBALL?

I'm nearly finished with it and IT'S ALRIGHT. The footnotes do get tedious and the Celtic nut hugging is excruciating at times, but the book is funny and relatively entertaining FOR THE MOST PART.

Also, I love seeing middle-aged white guys struggle with and dance around race issues (which happens every other page in THIS THING).
FancyMichael
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 am)

The worst thing about Oden is that he really was becoming unstoppable. BUT GAWDDDD HE'S JUST GOING TO HURT HIMSELF OVER AND OVEVIAPEB
FancyMichael
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 am)

Being a Portland fan has been so tough this year. Nearly all of the players, the coaching staff, and even the owner have been defeated by injuries and diseases.
Bladtman
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 am)

Man, I was just about to ask you about that

I got that book for Christmas and I'm about halfway through it. Admittedly I only got it because he gave a rousing speech on the Colbert Report on why basketball was the greatest sport and baseball sucks, I really didn't know anything about him beforehand

His homer-ism is pretty annoying, especially cause he constantly makes a big deal about every time he felt the Celtics were slighted in any way. He wrote a whole chapter shitting on Wilt Chamberlain just to boost up Russell again even though that was completely unnecessary (I haven't heard anyone make the claim that Wilt is better and simply bringing up the rings would bring that discussion to an end anyway) right after he criticized the media for dismissing older players' legacies just to build up current players.

Those two issues aside it's a pretty good read, and at the very least provides a list of other books to check out(I'm gonna have to read that Wilt bio where he talks about getting blown by stewardesses on planes and shit). I'm glad that other people see that Nash's two MVPs were a joke, and that he admits that stats/achievements from when the NBA was mostly white and racism was rampant really can't be taken seriously at all
Bladtman
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:20 am)

Portland is in a pretty shitty situation, I can't even complain about Yao being gone and Chuck Hayes having to moonlight as a center for the Rockets with the Portland roster looking like it does. Apparently Brandon Roy is kinda hurt now too, ouch

at least yall got Rudy Fernandez back, is Jerryd Bayless finally getting minutes?
Ryoko's Biatch
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:43 am)

Is Bill Simmons even gayer about the Celtics in his book than he is in his column? I don't really mind the homerism in his column most of the time, at least when it comes to the Celtics. At least I actually care about basketball. But it's kind of disappointing that he shit on Wilt, because Wilt seemed like a pretty cool guy, was an incredible talent and he played for KU, so I'm obligated to think he's the best.
Yogurtman
Odin
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:40 am)

He's probably gayer about the Celtics in his column, but there's still a lot of room for gay below that level!

Also I think about 25% of this book is stuff he's already written in column form. Of course, that still leaves 500+ pages of new stuff.
Bladtman
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 am)

It probably isn't that bad if you're used to his writing by now, he at least attempts to be objective most of the time even though he's an unapologetic Celtics fan. He also apparently hates Kobe too so you'll probably like that, and he really hates Vince Carter

Speaking of Celtics, I watched their local broadcast against the Hawks on NBA TV and Tommy Heinsohn has to be the most annoying sports commentator in history
Bladtman
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am)

Also Any Given Sunday on Blu ray is on sale at Best Buy for $9.99. Everybody go cop that modern day classic

my name is willie beaman~~~~~
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:48 pm)

Does anybody here care about hockey?
Ryoko's Biatch
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:04 pm)

I think Theldorrin, Seru, Spamdini and Stefan do.
L Ron Butterfly
I take pop music pretty seriously.
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 pm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99h7AWSAUXM&feature=related
Yogurtman
Odin
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm)

Well, the "looks like Gilbert Arenas won't be prosecuted" era certainly didn't last long.
Seru
Custom titles are for heroes, like me.
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm)

Oh yeah, I looooooove hockey.
Seru
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm)

The blue line, the red line, the neutral zone.

...gonna cum
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:33 pm)

Pretty sure that RASCAL simply named all the Canadian posters!
Seru
(Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm)

My favourite Berserk character is Puck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: