FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barefoot Gen
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
Mike Dunn
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:25 pm)

Post     Barefoot Gen

I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, but I can't imagine that it's even more depressing than this movie. Fucking people walking around with their eyes hanging out of their sockets, picking maggots out of their wounds. Dudes shitting and puking up blood, babies trying to get milk from their dead mothers' tits, fucking babies turning into horriffic mutants, all this after a heartwarming story of a nice family. Nuclear weapons are gay.

Discuss.
Theldorrin
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 pm)

Post     Re: Barefoot Gen

That doesn't sound depressing, it sounds disgusting.
Username
Swimmin' in a Magnum
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:35 pm)

This movie is pretty powerful.
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:39 pm)

Do we have any posters here who hate nuclear power because they equate it with nuclear weapons?
Username
Swimmin' in a Magnum
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 pm)

I wrote this for the site I rented it from:

In a word, terrifying. The true effects of the atom bomb are something limited to the imagination of almost every person on earth, save those who managed to survive the blast. Everyone else has only vague ideas of an unfathomable explosion, and the resulting radiation sickness. While this can't exactly capture the horror and reality of the bombing, it does give the viewer a glimpse of what it was like, and it's sobering to say the least. The author of this movie survived just like Gen, and must have seen all of these sorts of things happening. The sense of needless destruction is palpable.

But it doesn't really spend it's time focusing on the horrors caused by the bomb, although it certainly does give it its due consideration; the movie is ultimately about survival and perseverance, and the necessity of growing strong in difficult situations. Gen is a powerful character, constantly being forced to bear greater burdens and rise to the occasion.

Because of the nature of the movie, one would expect a bias in this storytelling, but it's remarkably apologetic. It was a terrible tragedy, and in a better world, should have been avoided, but the blame, which is barely touched upon due to the nature of the movie, is put mostly upon the Japanese Government.

The movie's visuals, accounting for age, are good. The immediate effects of the bomb are graphic enough to still the heart for a second, and throughout the rest of the movie, attention is payed to many background details.

The music didn't really register with me, so it may be that it was very ordinary, or fit in nicely enough that it gave a deeper sense of setting, but not to the point of standing out.

Overall, the movie's few small flaws lie in it's constant message of optimism and perseverance. It's distracting to the viewer at times to be overwhelmed by the terribleness of what's going on, and see Gen drop his sorrow and pain in a relatively short time, and begin living again as if nothing happened. However, when the themes of a movie are Hope and Survival, one can forgive slightly their tendency to hammer it in.
Mike Dunn
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:42 pm)

It is disgusting, the depression comes from the knowledge that this shit actually happened (it's about the Hiroshima bombing). If there's ever a nuke dropped on the northeast united states I hope they drop it right on top of me so I die in the initial blast, because fuck picking maggots out of your own wounds and then either dying extremely painfully of severe radiation poisioning and malnutrition a few days later, and fuck the other option of dying slowly of cancer and leukemia.
Stupid Fucking Faggot
Stupid 30 fuckbag who likes DBZ

Grave of the Fireflies is much more depressing and ELEGANT than this movie.

Gore does not equal depressing!

This movie is pretty intense though.
Rice

OH MY GOD, HANGLY MAN.

THIS IS THE ANIME THAT CAME ON A BUNCH OF YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS IN TAIWAN AND WATCHED AND IT WAS TOTALLY FUCKED UP AND I SAW IT WHEN I WAS LIKE 4!!!!!

I made a thread about this a long time ago and only now...the answer has been revealed...
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 pm)

The first sentence of the second paragraph was pretty bad, but I stopped reading when I got to "payed".
Rice
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:44 pm)

At least, I think this is what it was. Jesus Christ, the cover makes me wonder.
Mike Dunn
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:45 pm)

I appreciate the benefits of nuclear power, Big Fagot, but I do think that we would have been better off to never have tampered with that kind of technology. What's done is done, though, so we might as well use that shit for some positive ends.
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:47 pm)

Never tampered?

As if the development of nuclear technology during the 20th century was an incidental development that could have been avoided!
Rice
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 pm)

IT ISN'T FAIR.

Why...did I have to see this...as a child?...
Username
Swimmin' in a Magnum
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 pm)

Ugh, I didn't bother to reread that before posting it, and I also neglected to edit it before originally submitting it apparently.
Mike Dunn
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:51 pm)

As if indeed!
Username
Swimmin' in a Magnum
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:51 pm)

Is nuclear power basically the most advanced type of power we'll be able to attain for the foreseeable future, BF?
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:54 pm)

I can't imagine this movie being anything but unbelievably arousing.
Rice
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:55 pm)

I hate you.
Username
Swimmin' in a Magnum
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:55 pm)

I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies either, but I bet this movie has a lot more tits.
Mike Dunn
(Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:56 pm)

The existence of nuclear weapons is terrifying to me after seeing this movie.

Also, Barefoot Gen DOES have a lot of tits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: