FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
Yogurtman
Odin
(Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 pm)

Post     Re: Books

Also, The Years of Lyndon Johnson by Robert Caro. He's been writing it for 30+ years, and it isn't done yet, but it might be the most epic biography of anyone, ever.
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:50 pm)

Will it include the funny story about how he and the CIA killed the President so that he could be the President?
Yogurtman
Odin
(Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:58 pm)

He concludes that that wasn't the case.

Sorry!
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 am)

Laughing

Rolling Eyes
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:46 am)

I wouldn't mind reading about the civil war, but whatever I have read is usually all about how everyone was a hero and how cool the battle strategies were.

I'd be more interested if it was about the atrocities of the war. Like the Battle of Gettysburg, were 8 thousand soldiers were killed in 2-3 days. This werent by napalm bomb, but basically, almost close range deaths. But whenever I read it, its like children talking about an awesome MMO battle they had.

So, yeah, if there is a book on the civil war that describes how a nation, that is relatively developed, goes through a brief war that kills almost 600,000-800,000 of its population. Think of it this way, the population of America today is ten times the population of US today. A similiar death toll, in relative to the population, would mean 6-8 million dead Americans.

USA is a weird country. I haven't seen many countries that seem so proud of their civil wars, and with America, it seems the losing side seems to love talking about it as much as the winning side, if not more.
Ryoko's Biatch
(Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 am)

The North doesn't really care that much about the Civil War because when it was over, shit didn't really change much. The South is bitter as fuck because black people were allowed to do stuff that wasn't working for free and because the North occupied them over a decade because Southerners can't be trusted to govern themselves responsibly (this is still true).

They still refuse to admit that they did anything wrong.
kakarot52
(Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:52 pm)

Our best presidents were pre-civil war southerners (Washington, Jefferson, Polk) and the era after the civil war was basically an era of northern corrption that the Roosevelts had to compensate for.
(Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm)

War by Sebastian Junger was an interesting look at US soldiers fighting in the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan, which was one of the deadliest areas in the war. The documentary, Restrepo, is based on the book.

It looks at the personal lives of the soldiers: where they come from, how they are affected by the war, what they are like back stateside and how the experience sort of destroys them as people. Junger was embedded with the soldiers, so he witnesses some crazy shit.
Yogurtman
Odin
(Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:06 pm)

Hey, as long as we're looking at America's wonderful overseas adventures, Imperial Life in the Emerald City by Rajiv Chandrasekaran. It's a look at the absolutely batshit insane administration of the first year of the American occupation of Iraq, by the head of the Washington Post's Baghdad office.

Basically everything in this book is hilarious until you remember that it's nonfiction and then it's just sad. It's full of shit like "Hey, Baghdad is literally in flames. Let's interview some American kids, hire a few based on which ones are most fervently against Roe v Wade, then have them restart the Baghdad stock exchange. That should fix things up."

"Off the record: Rome is burning. On the record: Peace and stability are returning to Iraq."
MADali
Basically, someone like me is the friend who is watching from afar and shaking one's head.
(Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:32 am)

FTUers sure seem to look their wars.
kakarot52
(Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 am)

WAr and aggression is a major reason that the British are more progressive than Iran. Peace turns people in to pussies.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: