FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRINDHOUSE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics
           Author           Message
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:40 pm)

Post     Re: GRINDHOUSE

So, I saw this, and I can't be the only one who preferred Death Proof. Planet Terror was just unpleasant to watch.

Now, my viewing experience is probably unique in that there were only ten people in the theater, including myself, and no reactions save very infrequent laughter. I feel like people were enjoying themselves, and Alex definitely thought it was the best movie ever (oh God, hearing his nasal GIGGLES, especially during Planet Terror, was hard to take).

What really made the evening special was the fact that the film reel LEGITIMATELY burnt up at one point! It was absolutely insane. In all my years, I and probably everyone else have never, ever witnessed a reel actually burning up and stopping - and yet it happened. It was during Planet Terror, right as the one cop comes in after his finger was bitten off and they go out to investigate (a cliffhanger moment, no less!). We all just sat there, and you probably could have watched our reactions in unison.

1. Smirk, oh, I see, they're pulling this gimmick. Heh.
2. Man, this is a cool effect.
3. This is taking a while. Get on with it.
4. Wait, now everything's just white and that actually looks like a burnt piece of film being projected.
5. Uhhh...

And then they had to start it up again, only to have it stop once more ten minutes later since I think they were changing reels by hand after that.

But yeah, I didn't really like any of the trailers (Machete being my favorite, and I'm very disappointed with Edgar Wright's) or Planet Terror (although having it stop twice and allow the audience [80% composed of people from my college] to collectively revel in the insanity actually helped my enjoyment, just by giving me a breather and making me anticipate what was coming next), but I was actually amazed that I wasn't bored with Death Proof, considering how long it ran. The beginning with the original girls should definitely have been shorter in retrospect, but I was in for every minute after that.

In terms of actual filmmaking, I knew as soon as it started that I would get fucking annoyed by the artificial scratches and jitters and I wasn't disappointed. That's so fucking gimmicky and looks like something Mike Dunn's friend made in iMovie. Death Proof mostly not having it definitely helped me relax. Did anyone notice that there were seemingly no scratches on the one shot in Planet Terror where the motorcycle was revealed? I suddenly realized I was looking at a clean image and was like WTF? The camera work was pretty good, if not consistent. I chuckled on the old style pans and zooms, but they were so noticeable in comparison to the rest of the shots that it really wasn't worth it.

The dialog in the diner in Death Proof had me breathless (quite literally) as I was watching it, since it was all one long take and I'm a sucker for that (I also noticed Mike in the shot, so grape for me), but OBVIOUSLY that type of cinematic masturbation NEVER happened in the films they were trying to emulate, so fuck you, Tarantino.

But it was fun, I guess I enjoyed myself; it's really stupid to see so many filmmaking mistakes, some intentional, some definitely not, but whatever. The film will probably just break even, all told, so no harm no foul.
Mike Dunn
(Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 am)

**also has a gay opinion**
Ryoko's Biatch
(Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:59 am)

You would have a gay opinion!
Rice
(Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 am)

That post is very Jasonlike and yet unlike him for some reason.
Matthew Outland
The sum of all the arguments Theldorrin makes for not having children.
(Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:52 am)

Eric, only YOU can save the universe. I see it!
Matthew Outland
The sum of all the arguments Theldorrin makes for not having children.
(Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:53 am)

Also, I miss DBZ, but Im not sure if I can sit through downloading/watching it again. But the Vegeta fight was in fact good
Rice
(Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:54 am)

Yeah, I watched the Japanese episodes for a while and I realized it was destroying my sanity by the episode.

the pains too strong and i cant go on
Richard Cristopolis
~~~SNAKE...NOW IT"S MY TURN TO PROTECT YOU~~~
(Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:53 am)

I didn't like Death Proof at first, but the ending basically made all the mundaneness worthwhile.

And all the trashy girls in both movies were hot!
Richard Cristopolis
~~~SNAKE...NOW IT"S MY TURN TO PROTECT YOU~~~
(Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:53 am)

I loved how they basically left their fourth friend to get raped in Death Proof.
Mautty
I bet my wife supports a bigger deadbeat jackass liar than yours.
(Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:45 pm)

I really liked grindhouse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: