FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I'm a Karnov speedrunner now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Uncensored Daizenshuu
           Author           Message
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:06 pm)

Post     So I'm a Karnov speedrunner now

https://www.speedrun.com/karnov?h=Any&x=q25e9y2o

My time is 40 seconds slower than the world record, which is actually a lot, but nevertheless I can legitimately call myself the 18th best Karnov player on the face of the Earth!

And yes, I posted the time under the name RoyJonzeJr because I am Roy and always have been, I may as well just admit it now!
Ryoko's Biatch
(Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:52 am)

Post     Re: So I'm a Karnov speedrunner now

I was not ready for this revelation.
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:52 am)

FUCKING WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:46 am)

What would you say are the top segments or tricks that have contributed to your success at Karnov, and where do you want to improve further? Trying to bait out some fun jargon with names like "ghostless" and "bird skip" and shit like that, here.

Seru40 in shambles, his 2004 identity is slipping away from him. We must delete the board before bitchbeater returns to say he did the voices in Symphony Of The Night.
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:11 am)

The Karnov speedrunning COMMUNITY isn't even big enough to have created its own obnoxious jargon. The only one I can think of is that if you successfully defeat all 3 of the final boss' heads the first time they come out of their holes, you are said to have "3 cycled" the final boss. But because I'm a 40 year old fuck who is terrible at mashing the B button, I have to 6 cycle the final boss like a newb, adding about 10 seconds to my time.

My proudest moment is when I got a better time than Arcus (#26 on the leaderboard), who is a legitimately talented speedrunner with tens of thousands of followers on Twitch and YouTube and who once held the world record in Ninja Gaiden (and still holds the #2 spot), which is a much more competitive game than Karnov. Obviously, though, if Arcus actually spent a lot of time practicing Karnov, he would eventually crush my time, but as it stands right now, I am objectively better at Karnov than he is!
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:17 am)

What happened with Roy is: a long time ago, Big Fagot made a post titled, "To whoever registered the account Roy" and then the post said, "FEEL FREE TO USE THE PP I MADE, SHITFACE." And it was this slightly blurry picture of Roy from Smash Bros. I found this funny, and no one came forward to claim the account and picture. So I decided to do it myself. To this day, I still don't know how I managed to register the name "Roy" when someone had supposedly done so already. But in any event, Roy was a big hit, so I adopted that account and stopped posting as PHM. Later, I decided to make a comeback as PHM and I posted under both names. And now here we are.

IT'S ME AUSTIN, IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!!
Big Fagot
Alpha ape
(Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:25 am)

Heh heh, yeah, that sounds like a mistake I'd make, possibly after a server error I misinterpreted.

On the other hand, I'm not going to click around and check the IP history to look for overlap, so if you were actually two people and one of you recently killed the other, congratulations to that guy on getting away with it.
Potatoes
(Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:03 pm)

Are there big differences between the NES version and the arcade version?
Potatoes
(Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:30 pm)

Famicom/NES

The Famicom version was co-developed by Data East (design and audio) and SAS Sakata (programming).[4][5] It was released on December 18, 1987 in Japan by Namco, and shortly thereafter on its North American equivalent, the NES, in 1988 by Data East itself. Although it plays very similarly to the arcade game there are some noticeable differences:

Karnov takes two hits to die instead of just one. After being hit once he will turn a blue color in which he has one hit left or can gain an extra hit back by grabbing a blue fireball orb.
The Super Fireball is replaced with the Spike Bomb which destroys every enemy on screen. The Trolley item is replaced with the Shield which is used to reflect an enemy's fireballs.
Levels 4 and 8 are completely different from the arcade levels.
The final boss is no longer the Wizard, but a giant three-headed dragon. Both fights, however, take place in similar rooms.

The Famicom game is noticeably more difficult since it has limited continues, and the option is not visibly present after all lives are lost, instead requiring pressing Select and Start at the same time. The NES game, however, provides unlimited continues, and it also allows Karnov to be killed when both the A and B buttons are pressed on the second controller.

I answered my own question, using WikiPedia®
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:28 pm)

I didn't know anything about the arcade version until I looked up footage of it just now. The level layouts look similar, but the arcade version actually looks harder, which makes sense since it's in their best interest for players to die every 5 seconds so they'll feed the machine with more quarters.
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:54 pm)

I improved my time by 11 seconds to get within 29 seconds of the world record. I think I've hit the end of the line though because improving my time any more would require me to do ridiculous bullshit such as:
-Execute a series of precise jumps in stage 3 that have no purpose other than to inexplicably stop the camera from scrolling up, which means it's free to scroll to the right, thereby allowing me to reach the end of the stage faster
-Execute a frame-perfect boomerang throw that allows me to kill the dinosaur in stage 3 in one shot
-Conk my head on a piece of coral reef at a precise location and with the camera in the perfect position to make an extra boomerang appear in stage 5 so I can one shot a different final boss
-3 cycle the final boss by putting myself in a dangerous position that might cause one of the heads to suddenly lunge at me and kill me instantly in one shot, despite the fact I'm not even blue Karnov
-Do all of the above flawlessly ... except do it over again because the random number generator didn't give me bombs that exploded fast enough.
Ryoko's Biatch
(Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:51 am)

Do it, you bitch.

Be the best at this stupid game nobody actually likes.
Roy
(Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:13 pm)

I shaved another 10 seconds off my time to become the 13th best Karnov player who has ever existed. I successfully did all of the things on the above list, except I botched the scroll-stopping jumps in stage 3 a bit. And it turns out it's not actually necessary to make a frame-perfect boomerang throw to kill the dinosaur in one hit (you just have to stop walking forward after throwing the boomerang and then it's not that hard).

But this is definitely the fucking end now. I've done my part to keep the Karnov meme alive!
Potatoes
(Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:20 pm)

Don't give up now, you're so close.
PokemonHentaiMaster
(Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:49 am)

7 seconds off the world record. I haven't counted the total amount of runs I've done, but it's definitely over a thousand. If I were applying for a job, I would legitimately have to put down my 3rd place Karnov speedrun as my biggest life accomplishment.
Yogurtman42
(Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:53 pm)

Thank you for continuing to justify the money I pay Dreamhost every month to keep this site up!
Ryoko's Biatch
(Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:42 am)

We are only getting two things from this board from now on: Karnov updates and finding out that Yogurtman died because the board went offline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Uncensored Daizenshuu All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: