FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PODCAST THREAD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Uncensored Daizenshuu
           Author           Message
Vinny
[00:10] How can you get an erect dick into your own ass?
(Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:37 pm)

Post     PODCAST THREAD

Working an office job has afforded me the opportunity to listen to around 10 hours of podcasts a week. So this the thread for people to talk about podcasts and which ones you like!

Comedy Bang! Bang!: This is probably my favorite of all time. Paul F. Tompkins is a national treasure + Andy Daly, Lauren Lapkus, James Adomian, Thomas Middleditch, Jon Gabrus, and many others are all super. I'm not sure how to even recommend this because the show is built heavily on running jokes. Maybe one of the early Best Of compilations?

Harmontown: This show can be wildly hit and miss depending on how wasted Dan is. I imagine if you have low tolerance for Dan Harmon or someone ranting passionately about topics they may know very little about this won't be for you. I would recommend the show from the beginning but it hits it's stride when it actually begins to follow a format and they bring up entertaining show business people to the stage instead of fans in the audience who often are completely awful (but some are great!).

The Andy Daly Pilot Podcast Project: A short series of like ten episodes that are all, almost without exception, fantastic. I don't believe you need familiarity of Daly's characters from Comedy Bang! Bang! to enjoy this but like most of recommendations, their almost all spiritual spinoffs of that show.

How Did This Get Made?: A lot of people like the The Flop House or We Hate Movies better because they typically know more about film but I prefer HDTGM. The live shows are typically the best episodes. I like to drink and watch shitty movies so this is a good companion piece.

I listen to many more podcasts but I'll stop here for now.
(Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 pm)

Post     Re: PODCAST THREAD

How can you listen to podcasts while working? Mine are:

Radiolab: Semi-scientific bullshit of the week.

This American Life: See above.

About Race: All the hosts are annoying in different ways, and Raquel and Tanner obviously hate each other!

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me: I am gay.

The Moth: People tell anecdotes about their own life.

Snap Judgment: See above, but more heavily produced. Also the host is black William Shatner. If you want to do an impression of him, say some dumb shit in the most ridiculously overwrought way you possibly can.
Vinny
(Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:37 am)

I also listen to This American Life and Radiolab occasionally. I only listen to podcasts while I'm working on something pretty brain dead so it's not an issue.

I'll add another one.

U Talkin' U2 to Me?: Basically a podcast where two guys fuck around for hours and then, maybe, talk about the band U2 for the last 30 minutes. It helps if you are a Comedy Bang! Bang! fan but even still it takes a few episodes to acclimate to the nature of the show. It's really fantastic and the latest episode was incredible.
(Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm)

U Talkin' U2 To Me is my favorite podcast and I don't even particularly like U2.
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:04 pm)

Ask The Bum: This a podcast where two British geeks ask the bum outside their office building questions about current events and tech news and mock his ignorance. They insist they don't pay him or feed him, and that he's not an actor, he's just still there. They also only refer to him as "The Bum," the double entendre of which is the show's longest running joke.

Is It Time For Lunch?: I think this one was started was started by a few friends just recording themselves wondering out loud if they should get lunch yet, but it turned into a fascinating discussion about astrophysics and philosophy, as each episode they come back having done more research about the topics they broached on the previous. I guess the joke is that they never ended up having lunch.

The Carson Elliot Complication: Carson Elliot is a pretty unknown comedian from LA, so for his podcast he takes his recording equipment to stand-up shows he works on and asks other comedians a single, existentialist question before they perform. Usually it's something like "Do you think you'll make anyone actually experience laughter tonight?" or "How did you come to be standing where you are now?" or sometimes just "Why?" You can then overhear the audio of them bombing their set for a bit before Carson sits down with them, clearly shattered by ennui, and explains that they've just been Complicated. I hope this one gets a real TV series.

Tomato: This is just two uninterrupted hours of audio from a tomato. The creators refuse to tell whether or not it's the same tomato each week. There are no pictures of the tomato.

Talk Shit/Eat Shit: Probably the funniest podcast I listen to, TS/ES is hosted by two insult comics and a rotating third seat. Each episode they have to come up with new disses for each other and the guest, and if they can't, they literally have to eat shit during the recording. It can be human shit, or any variety of animal. The guest, likewise, has to come prepared with their best verbal takedowns or be forced to swallow the consequences. Highlight episodes are when people come on the show without realizing the full scope of the series. They struggle, but they have to eat shit all the same.
Last edited by God on Fri Apr 05, 33 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Utils
(Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:29 pm)

According to Pocket Casts I listen to:

Joe Rogan
Polygon Mini Map
Animation Dissection
Adam Carolla Show
Geeknights
Vergecast
8-4 Play
Freakonomics Radio
Fatman on Batman
Hollywood Babbel-on
Tell-em Steve Dave

I listen in the car, mostly. Or doing housework.

I listened to The Big 3 Podcast when they were still recording. It's a spinoff of Windy City Heat.

My backlog is over 40 combined episodes. Fuck me.
Vinny
(Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:02 pm)

I Was There, Too: Matt Gourley is great and he interviews people from movies who mostly had bit roles. The benefit of this is that they are no longer in show business and are willing to shit all over famous people they worked with. They're usually plugging something weird like a cookbook or something hot like when Vazquez from Aliens was promoting her bra line for women with huge tits.
(Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:04 am)

The guys from Is It Time For Lunch split up but one of them is starting a new podcast about history, I think, early next year.
Last edited by God on Fri Apr 05, 33 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard Cristopolis
~~~SNAKE...NOW IT"S MY TURN TO PROTECT YOU~~~
(Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:49 pm)

Nightvale got me sex
Vinny
(Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:29 pm)

Oh, I don't listen to that but I listen to The Thrilling Adventure Hour (mostly because of Paul F. Tompkins) which is great. I guess that just ended, though.

Also something that just ended featuring Paul F. Tompkins, the Dead Author's Podcast is also good.
(Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:31 pm)

Nightvale's narrative is hard not to like. It's also had some of the most life-affirming quotes I've ever heard. Thrilling Adventure Hour can be pretty good too, but Comedy Bang Bang is always consistently good, especially in the previous year's episodes. Brett Gelman's iBrain reads like an ftu play.

I listened to The Message is fucking dumbass fucking bullshit idiot shit.

And I like Marc Maron for a lot of the stuff he's overcome, I just don't see what's so amazing about his podcast.
Vinny
(Tue May 17, 2016 6:24 pm)

I recently went to the Comedy Bang! Bang! live tour in Durham, NC and that was wonderful. The crowd was essentially what I expected: a mix of white guys in glasses who dressed nice and white guys in glasses who looked and smelled like shit. I've never been to a comic book/anime convention but I imagine the crowd's B.O. was a little less pungent than what you would find there.

The show was essentially what you would expect from a Comedy Bang! Bang! show in that it was mostly Paul giving Scott shit for misspeaking. By the way, Paul's outfit made my heart flutter ~<3~<3. I think the character selection we got from Paul and Lauren was pretty good considering although I was secretly wishing for PFT's Werner Herzog. His Yelp hotel review is one of my favorite moments. Unfortunately, this clip omits a little set up that was at the beginning.

I recommend listening to the tour on Howl.fm (there's probably a million free trials you can use) but if you're the kind of person who would get enjoyment out of listening to this tour, you probably are already a CBB fan and know all about this.

(Tue May 17, 2016 6:44 pm)

If you guys are looking for a really good comedic saga, the On Cinema podcast with Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington became the On Cinema, At the Cinema skit YouTube, which led to Tim Heidecker's miniseries, Decker, which led to the On Cinema Oscar Specials I-IV. It's some hilarious, brilliant shit on a simple premise that grows increasingly more insane. You also need to keep up to date with Tim and Gregg's twitters to grasp the lengths of the characters. But yeah, well worth the watch.
Mike Dunn
(Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm)

Vinny, I've gotten really into CBB over the past few months. Is it actually worth it to get the widow Howl app?
Vinny
(Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:04 am)

You could download all the live shows to your device or whatever using just the free trial and then cancel when it's up. I believe there's probably like 60-70 or show live episodes from all the different tours and they're going to be do an Australian tour pretty soon.

If you like PFT and Lauren Lapkus the most recent tour is fantastic. On average, the quality is better than the average studio episode.

I've checked out some of the other stuff on Howl but for the most part it isn't that great. You could probably knock out whatever you actually want to hear during the free trial window (depending on how often you listen).

Jump to: