FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jon Allen Thread of Stand-Up Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Uncensored Daizenshuu
           Author           Message
Jason
At ten I shaved my head and tried to be a monk, I thought the older women would like me if I did.
(Mon May 16, 2016 5:09 pm)

Post     Jon Allen Thread of Stand-Up Recommendations

Try not to overwhelm with a Vinny-like list of four to six titles with no descriptions with them.

(This is gonna be super SJW, so I don't want to hear shit from MADali or Vito or whoever still posts.)

John Mulaney - The Comeback Kid: I missed this when it released in 2015, I guess. I just watched it and it was great. John Mulaney is one of my absolute favorites (his previous two specials are also extremely good). His poise on stage has gotten so much better since 2009 and it's actually really a joy to simply watch him move - he has excellent physical comedy skills lurking just below the surface to enhance all his jokes. There are some moments here that edge toward offensive, but only because of the sort of white male implications of what he's saying (i.e., college is academic nonsense, kids are all special snowflakes these days). It's nowhere near as bad as your average Louis CK show, but typically I like John because the vast majority of his material eschews issues for pop culture irreverence. (Notwithstanding his breakout routine "Chase Through the Subway," which is either a pitch perfect set about male privilege or a tone deaf rape joke, depending on your perspective, but one I definitely think is always worth discussing.)
Last edited by God on Fri Apr 05, 33 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Vinny
[00:10] How can you get an erect dick into your own ass?
(Mon May 16, 2016 5:59 pm)

Post     Re: Jon Allen Thread of Stand-Up Recommendations

That was a very good special along with previous one, New In Town. Also, Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland are the best.
(Tue May 17, 2016 4:18 pm)

The only stand-up special that I thought was really good in the past few years was Chelsea Peretti's "One of the Best", which at least tried to do something new with the format.

The new Louis C.K. is really terrible. To be honest I couldn't even make it 30 minutes into most specials released last year with the exception Aziz Ansari's.
Vinny
[00:10] How can you get an erect dick into your own ass?
(Tue May 17, 2016 6:11 pm)

That was also a good one!

I think I've watched a lot of stand-up comedy specials this past year but I don't remember much about any of them except the Mulaney special Jason mentioned. I remember liking the recent Aziz special but thinking it was much more interesting than it was funny.

Hannibal Burress' stuff hasn't been great lately. I think he worked better with his more deadpan delivery from Animal Furnace but his stuff is still better than most other specials. Jen Kirkman's special was mostly good.

I Googled a list of 50 comedy specials on Netflix and I've seen all but maybe three of them and what I mentioned above is what I consider above average. There's a few others that are alright but they left next to no impression on me.

Jump to: