FTU
Dragon Ball Z Uncensored
The only place on the World Wide Web where you can hang out with Chris Psaros-san, the coolest webmaster this side of Namek!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantasia 2014 edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dragon Ball Z Uncensored Forum Index -> Uncensored Daizenshuu
           Author           Message
Spamdini
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:19 pm)

Post     Re: Fantasia 2014 edition

Once Upon a Time in Shanghai (Hong Kong)

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/77/once-upon-a-time-in-shanghai

A small town kid comes to Shanghai to earn a better living, but gets caught up in a world of gangsters. Blessed with a deadly iron punch, he is able to more than hold his own against bullies and goons, and even goes toe-to-toe with the toughest gang boss in Shanghai, Long Qi. Qi, a young brawler who muscled his way into taking half of Shanghai for himself from the four current gang bosses, learns to respect the young farm boy and the two become friends before taking on the combined forces of the other bosses and the evil Japanese (redundant).

Has more in common with modern grittier martial arts movies like The Raid and Ong Bak than with old Hong Kong classics, but the action and choreography are top notch. The main character's style is brutal and his strength is both obvious and captivating. Bones break, faces are crushed, and swathes of goons are leveled in single punches. Long Qi's style is more elegant, but almost as violent. Adding to the enjoyment is Sammo Hung, who plays a more badass role than he usually gets, and a roster of impressive villains armed with deadly weapons that are crushed like twigs under the invincible fist of our hero. Once Upon a Time in Shanghai updates the HK kung fu formula for the 21st century and delivers with action at least on par with the first Ip Man.

Once Upon a Time in Shanghai is truly a terrible title for a movie though.
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:33 pm)

To Be Takei (USA)
***1/2

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/104/to-be-takei

A documentary about the life of George Takei. This film takes us through the various chapters in Takei's life, from his early childhood in Japanese internment camps, to being a young actor struggling to break Asian sterotyped roles, his later work getting reparations for the WWII treatment of Japanese-Americans, his coming out, gay rights activism and marriage to his now husband, and finally to his part in producing a stage musical about the Japanese camps he lives through. Oddly underrepresented is Takei's time on Star Trek, though interviews with Shatner, Nimoy, Nichols and Koening are included; most of Shatner's interview serve as digs against him for being a pompous jerk who barely even acknowledges that he knows Takei.

A bit scattershot in terms of how the different topics are presented, but the movie does touch on all the important parts of Takei's life, including his presence on Howard Stern and Facebook. Given what I knew of Takei when I was growing up (he was Sulu and that's it), his life is filled with interesting stories and events. Even Takei's husband Brad features prominently and is shown as the gentle sensitive one at home, and as the shrewd manager whilst at conventions and other public events.

All the information is nice, and the bits with George and Brad together and sweet and funny, but much of the movie serves as a biography of his life rather than following a narrative that you see in the most memorable documentaries (King of Kong and Jiro Dreams of Sushi come to mind). This isn't necessarily a bad thing as there is so much that Takei has done in his life, but more focus would have made it a tighter movie.

Best scene is when the couple spreads Brad's mother's ashes, only to have them blow back in their faces a la Big Lebowski.
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 pm)

I was unable to go see Monsterz so I traded by ticket in for Wetlands on August 4th. AVGN review forthcoming.
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 pm)

I kind of want to see To Be Takei. George Takei seems like a cool guy.
Spamdini
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 pm)

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie (USA)

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/177/angry-video-game-nerd-the-movie

First off, I'd like to lead with the fact I was pretty stoked to see this ever since I heard it would be part of the festival. It was the first movie at Fantasia to sell out this year so I feel fortunate that I was able to get a ticket. Secondly, I'm going to provide some spoilers in this review so if you plan on seeing the movie, just know that it's quite good and that you should go watch it when it comes to your town or buy/download it whenever that is possible. EDIT: This movie is selling out at almost of the stops on its tour so buy tickets now if you can: http://cinemassacre.com/2014/07/23/avgn-movie-screenings-on-sale-now/

Rather than being a long AVGN style review, series of reviews, or a series of vignettes, the AVGN movie goes against the types of videos shown to date and creates something more comparable to Wayne's World, Blues Brothers or Pee Wee's Big Adventure. The biggest difference here is that this movie was done on a budget of just over $300,000, most of which came from crowdfunding. As a result of the limited budget, the makers of the movie had to get creative with the effects. And it worked! In lieu of cheesy CGI, which would have surely looked SyFy quality or worse, much of the special effects were done with costumes, miniatures and green screen. Hokey, yes. But it also beckoned back to the days of cheesy 50s and 60s B-movie sci-fi; fitting given the ET theme.

The story involves the titular Nerd (going exclusively by that moniker as opposed to his real name, James Rolfe) working as a sale clerk at a GameStop parody. He is however, like in real life, acknowledged as an internet sensation for his video rants. His co-worker, who I will call Black Kid, idolizes the nerd and even has a rip-off show of his called Super Cool Video Game Guy or something like that. Whatever. Point is that he's a dorky mama's boy who thinks of the Nerd as a hero instead of the misanthropic jerk that he really is. Black Kid urges the Nerd to create an ET video based on the legend of it being the most awful game ever. Footage of actual fan response videos requesting that the Nerd review the game are included.

The Nerd is resistant to reviewing the game, in part because of the fact that he does not buy into the urban legend that millions of copies of the games were buried in the deserts of New Mexico (filming occurred before the actual unearthing of the copies, obviously). Black Kid does believe the myth however, as well as various other retarded conspiracy theories, and sets up a deal between the Nerd and leading game developer Cockburn Industries. Obviously this movie showed great potential when they opted to call a business Cockburn Industries. In exchange for helping either excavate or expel the rumor of the buried ET carts, the Nerd will in turn review their newest game: ET 2, a purposely awful game created as a piece of cynical meta-humor to get gaming hipsters to buy it in order to try its terribleness.

Cockburn sends their marketing rep, Sexy Redhead with Glasses (SRG), along with a van equipped with various sonar and video gaming equipment, and the three of them head out on a road trip. Upon arriving at the burial site near Roswell, NM, government officials overhear the Nerd, Black Kid and SRG talking about ET and misinterpret their conversation as being about actual extraterrestrials. And overzealous general with a tank for a lower body (let's call him R. Lee Ermey) and his second-in-command, Blonde in TankTop (BTT), attack the group, setting off a chain of events that leads to the truth behind the ET burial, a conspiracy involving Area 51 and a technologically advanced type of alien metal, and the creator of the universe buried in Mt. Fuji.

AVGN is no doubt super cheesy and low-brow (see Cockburn Industries), but that totally keeps with the theme of the Nerd. I was skeptical and was worried that AVGN would not work as a full feature and that the result would be an overblown snorefest. This couldn't be further from the truth! The film just oozes charm with all the hokey effects, sets and characters. It is quite similar to a Troma film in that regard, but without the over-the-top sexuality and not that much gore.

On that topic, Lloyd Kaufman makes a guest appearance in the movie, along with other video game internet celebs like Pat the NES Punk, the Keith Apicary character, the Nostaglia Critic, and so on. Even the actual programmer behind ET makes a cameo, as well as AVGN's music guy and Mike Matei, the fellow who draws the title cards and is often called on to don a suit and play characters in various AVGN videos. Coolest cameo goes to the guy who played Michelangelo in the original TMNT movie series, who voices the Roswell alien while not trying at all to sound any different from Michelangelo.

Getting back to what made the movie enjoyable, it embraces its B-movie status while poking fun at it at the same time. A person plummets off a tower onto a green screen, suddenly disappearing halfway to the ground. Miniature cars explode into comically lame fireballs, cardboard robots shamble around, and there's even a Kaiju that attacks Japan. As much as this is a love note to video game nerdom, it pays equal loving tribute to B-movies of days past. James Rolfe and his co-director Kevin Finn clearly have geeky interests that go beyond video gaming, and the movie is that much better for it.

The humor is dumb, no getting around that. But it's Troma dumb. It's dumb in a way that's sincere, silly, slapstick, and just fun. Really, it's what the Nerd has been doing all along in his videos. For all the brainy geeks that love him, the videos pretty much boil down to him making piss and shit references while chugging beer and vomiting on the games he reviews.

Bookending the movie is a mini-review of Xenophobe on the NES during the opening credits and, what we have all been waiting for (apparently), a full review of ET for Atari 2600 during the end credits. The review is in fact rather surprising in his sincere respect for the game given its circumstances and ambition.

There are a few points that bugged me. SRG puts on fake glasses to pretend to be a "real nerd" and get past the Nerd's refusal to allow women into his life. This seems like a rather stupid stance for the character to take though. The crowds of people that represent his fans, as well as the videos of real fans that are shown at the beginning of the movie, show that there are in fact several women who love the Nerd's work and like video games. The "Fake Game Girl" trope seems like a lame road for him to take given its lack of basis in reality and that the movie never really resolves this point. SRG later gets into a brawl with BTT and expresses that she had hoped to avoid demeaning herself with a sexy cat fight, but she still goes through with it. In the end, insecure male video gamer hangups seem to go unchallenged, which seems like a big missed opportunity.

Black Kid's role as sidekick to the Nerd also seems to fizzle in the third act. His act of redemption after cowardly backing out never really pans out and he becomes what is essentially an afterthought. He had potential as a character who was the antithesis of the nerd; lacking confidence and dependent on others, but optimistic and energetic. Sadly, his development was probably trimmed down in order to tie up all the plot threads.

And boy there were a lot of twists. And yet, they made some sort of strange sense once all was said and done. Having a video game tied into government secrets, an alien UFO-metal project, and the story of the creator of the universe made for a lot of exposition to follow, but it was all tied up will in the end. Probably one too many things to follow, but they nailed the finish, so good on it.

In spite of all the positives, the people I heard talking after the movie seemed less pleased. This was a rare case where I left a Fantasia movie and I seemed to like the movie a lot more than the crowd. The impression I got was that it strayed too far from the formula that the videos had set and did not meet their expectations. I'm sad that they felt this way because I want this movie to succeed. It was sincere, fun, funny and a shining example of how a niche video games series and crowdfunding can help create something that can be enjoyed for years to come and by a much broader market. Even if the so-called diehard fans end up opposing it, here's hoping for a long fruitful life on Netflix or Hulu some time in the future!

Last edited by Spamdini on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Spamdini
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 pm)

One more since I'm in a writing mood, which is rare these days.

Guardian (Indonesia)

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/139/guardian

A woman's husband is murdered, leaving her to take care of their young daughter. Ten years later, she and her now teenage daughter have been training in martial arts and military training in anticipation for some event that she will not share. Finally, the day has come when armed men attack the family in their home, forcing them on the run and unveiling the truth behind what happened ten years ago.

Saw this based on the hype that The Raid gave me on the potential of Indonesian movies. Sadly, it failed to deliver. The action was passable, but 80% of the action involved long shootouts where everyone would lduck behind cover and wait until one side was slowly picked off. The rest was hand-to-hand fighting that consisted of eye-rolling waif-fu where a 60 pound teen and a 90 pound woman manhandled groups of trained henchmen. Mediocrity was the name of the game here.

The plot was decent enough in concept (Spoiler: the mother was actually just a random woman who found the girl after her husband was murdered. He was an undercover cop that stole a drug dealer and human trafficker's car while trying to get away from a botched sting, and his daughter happened to be in the back seat). But since the twist is only revealed halfway through the movie, you are left with lots of time wondering who all these factions of armed goons are and why some random blonde woman appears once in a while with her crew to shoot people.

Guardian also does a terrible job setting up its two main protagonists. The mother character is a cold taskmaster who refuses to reveal why her daughter has to go through years of training reserved mostly for navy SEALs and people avenging their master. At least her reasons for acting like a nut are revealed and she's made sympathetic eventually. The daughter spends the whole movie whining and acting like a stupid asshole (i.e. a Teenager), which makes her thoroughly unpleasant. It's not a good sign when you're rooting for the bad guys 20 minutes into the movie.

Oh, and the blonde pale white woman with an American accent is named Paquita and is supposed to be Mexican. Well played on "all whities look the same" card, Indonesia!

Guardian was a thoroughly forgettable affair, so look elsewhere for gunplay and martial art mashups.
(Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 pm)

I stayed up some more to read the Theldorrin death thread. Now I'm sad and tired. ;_;
(Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 am)

;_;
Fagzilla
Got lost in another dimension for a couple months. But seriously, we will actually update the site within the next couple of days. http://www.bandzwiki.com/
(Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 am)

Boss N-word
Seru
Custom titles are for heroes, like me.
(Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 pm)

OK, cool. Thanks for the in-depth depthness. And yeah, I don't think a lot of people realize that James Rolfe has more of a nerd boner for cinema (Specifically shitty cinema.) than he does for video games. Obviously he's going to lean more on that for inspiration rather than exploring the motivations of a character best known for shitting on a costumed Bugs Bunny.
Spamdini
(Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:19 pm)

There is definitely value in shitting on a costumed Bugs Bunny though.
(Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 pm)

As much as I disliked the way women were portrayed in the movie, the Nerd did use the opportunity to coin the term "Nerds before birds" which is pretty rad.
(Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 am)

Boss Nigger (USA)
****1/2

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/113/boss

A pair of black bounty hunters in the old west, Boss and Amos, enter a small town in search of a gang of wanted criminals. This town, as luck would have it, is under the thumb of these goons. Seeing that the town has no sheriff and that staying here would be the best path to capturing the villains and cashing in the bounties, Boss bullies the mayor and townsfolk into making him the sheriff. He and Amos run the town with an iron fist, putting up with none of whitey's guff, while taking care of the Mexican families ostracized to the outskirts and a black girl who was orphaned when the criminal gang killed her father. This, of course, draws the ire of the outlaws and they make plans to make an example of this new sheriff.

I'll preface this by saying I don't like a lot of blaxploitation movies. They're mostly boring and poorly made, even if I acknowledge their cultural purpose. Boss Nigger is different. It works as a western as much as it does as a subversive piece of black cinema. This elevates it to the level way up on most of its peers that I have seen. Exciting shoot-outs and badass heroism that would not be out of place in a Clint Eastwood western are aplenty.

Amos makes for a great comic relief sidekick, and he and Boss make for an even more entertaining duo than Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles. More comparisons to Blazing Saddles could be made (both about black guys in the old west who act as sheriffs in a bigoted town), but really most similarities end there. Boss Nigger plays things relatively straight, albeit not too seriously. They do address race relations some more by showing how Mexicans were treated instead of just blacks, and paint Boss as an overall virtuous and manly man.

Bloody and fun, watch it if you like westerns at all. Love of blaxploitation movies not required.
(Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:56 pm)

Thanks for reviewing AVGN. I admit I was pretty wary about it for pretty much the same reasons you described but now I'm excited to see it! It's nice to see somebody follow their passions from a relatively humble start and be able to make his own legitimate movie.
Spamdini
(Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm)

Kung Fu Elliot (Canada)
*** 1/2

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/185/kung-fu-elliot

This documentary follows a former competitive martial artist from Halifax named Elliot who decides to put out homemade action movies featuring himself as the star. Aided by his girlfriend, they put together a couple features and begin work on his latest and most ambitious project yet, which see his shooting footage in China while on a trip with his acupuncture school. However, his eccentricities and issues committing to his relationship are just the beginning of a portrait of a very bizarre man.

What starts off as charming peek into the life of a passionate wannabe filmmaker starts to take a dark turn as we learn more about Elliot and his compulsive lying. The arc of the film is really interesting in how our perception of Elliot from the beginning of the movie towards the end based on how much we believe him, or at least give him the benefit of the doubt. By the end, he's used up all of his goodwill and while not completely villainous in a Billy Mitchell way (God, fuck THAT guy!), he definitely earns a spot in the annals of documentary scumbags.

The biggest drawback is that it's almost too hard to watch at times because of Elliot's awkwardness and attitude. That and the fact that the director steps in at the end and causes the whole thing to end rather abruptly. If you can stomach real people acting quite questionably though, I recommend taking a look.
(Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:10 pm)

Stereo (Germany)
http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/333/stereo

A bike repair shop owner has moved to a small town in the country, where is dating an attractive middle-aged woman and acts a father figure to her young daughter. One day, a mysterious man shows up at his garage and talks about teaming up to take care of a gangster, but has no idea what he is talking about. At the same time, he begins seeing a hooded man watching him in the distance and begins to suspect that there are some things about his past that he cannot remember.

Taking cues from Fight Club and A History of Violence, Stereo far surpassing the latter in terms of making an intense and touching movie about a man whose illicit past is coming back to haunt him. While the secret behind the protagonist's past is pretty easy to figure out, he's a genuinely likable character and you do worry about what will happen to him and those he now loves. The violence works well with the movie and doesn't include an awkward, out-of-place stairway sex scene. Thoroughly enjoyable.
(Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am)

Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (Japan)
**** (knock .5 to whole star off if you aren't a fan of the manga)

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/365/rurouni-kenshin-kyoto-inferno

Note: I saw this movie on Sunday Aug 3, and it was just released in Japanese theatres Aug 1st. That's pretty neat, though it also means we won't be seeing this on DVD on North America for a while.

The sequel to the Rurouni Kenshin movie that played at last year's Fantasia, and the first in a two-part series that covers the Kyoto arc from the anime and manga. Government officials visit former rebel-assassin Kenshin Himura and ask him to go to Kyoto to assassinate his successor Makoto Shishio. After the government's top official is murdered by one of Shishio's henchmen, Sojiro Seta, Kenshin sets off to Kyoto to confront his rival.

I haven't reviewed movies at Fantasia in a couple of years, so I failed to inform everyone of my high opinion of the first Kenshin movie. The choreography is outstanding and the characters look pretty spot on which result in some designs that range from cool to jarring when portrayed by an actual human. The first movie covered the Jinne and Kanryu story arcs (sans Aoshi), and featured Sanosuke and Saito as Kenshin's allies, as well as Kaoru, Yahiko and Megumi. Sanosuke was a clear highlight of the movie, acting as both a badass and comic relief in a world that took itself a bit too seriously in spite of the cartoonish nature of the material.

The sequel shares much of the same strengths and weaknesses. In particular, some of the new characters like Cho, Aoshi and Shishio look way too weird for an otherwise relatively realistic late-19th century Japan. Cho's blonde spiked hair and Aoshi's emo haircut and eyeliner clearly belong in a modern Japanese pop band instead.

The story is a little too convoluted too. If you've read the manga, you know everything that's happening and can follow along without any problems. Anyone who hasn't, however, will probably have a hard time following all the new characters and plotlines. It is tough to cram about 5 or 6 manga volumes of plot into a two hour movie and it tries to do its best, but it is a tall task. In particular, Misao and Aoshi are kinda shoehorned in and Aoshi's epic battle with Okina loses a bit of its significance in spite of who cool the action is.

Which brings me back to the greatest strength of both Kenshin movies: the action. Eschewing CG or most special effects altogether, Kenshin's swordfighting is grounded more in reality, but still manages to portray his speed as being impressive and near superhuman. He runs around the screen knocking out men with surgical precision and turns corners so rapidly that he practically runs parallel to the ground. It's one of the most impressive translations from anime-to-live action that I've eve seen. The new times that they resort to trampolines or other equipment to have Kenshin move in an unrealistic manner, it's for a one-off stunt shot like him leaping onto a building or to deal the finishing blow in a battle.

Sanosuke wields his Zanbato as well with equal flair, using it to club a few bad guys before ditching it by using it to perform Van Daminators on a line of enemies (this same move is used in both movies, and is rad each time). There isn't as much of him brawling in this one as the first, and his only signature fight involves him getting his ass handed to him by Aoshi, but I'm sure he'll mkae up for it in the next movie, where he will likely fight Anji.

Kaoru was made into more of a typical damsel in distress, which was disappointing and Yahiko does little of value. Misao, on the other hand, is made significantly more badass than her manga counterpart and lays some pretty awesome beatings down. Aoshi, as weird looking as he may be, also has some sweet moves. And finally Cho's fight with Kenshin may be the best out of all the battles from the two movies.

Seeing all these characters translated to real life is fun in of itself, but there aren't a lot of movies period that have action scenes as entertaining as Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno. Very highly recommended for Kenshin fans, and worth a look for those with no knowledge of the source material. I look forward to the conclusion which is due out in Japanese theatres next year, but we need more Sanosuke!
(Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 am)

Short film: The Chaperone (Canada)

Before a lot of Fantasia movies, there is a short film to warm up the crowd. Usually I don't review them because they aren't often noteworthy, but I felt this one merited mentioning.

A 14 minute movie using animation, stop-motion, exploding muppets and live-action to tell the true story of a Montreal East school dance that was invaded by a gang of bikers during the 70s when French-Canadian gangs were particularly problematic. After polite requests for them to leave are laughed at, one particularly badass teacher locks the doors and lays the smackdown.

I don't have much else to add to that. Did your teacher ever win a brawl against several dozen bikers in fron tof all their students? I didn't think so.

DJ XL5's Blaxploitation Zappin' Party (Compiled in Canada, using scenes from USA movies)
**1/2

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/288/dj-xl5-s-blaxploitation-zappin-party

Carrying on the yearly tradition of showing clips from a theme country or genre, Montreal's DJ XL5 created a clip show using trailers and scenes from various Blaxploitation films.

Unfortunately, Blaxploitation isn't as rich a source to mine from. Iterations in the past have included Mexican, Italian, Bollywood and Zombie movies. They were compiled from decades of material and over various genres, with the added benefit of the insanity of foreign tastes and budgets. Blaxploitation, on the other hand, is purely American and from a very specific time period in the early-to-mid 70s. Even if the genres superficially vary (cop movies of Shaft and Slaughter, horror for Blacula, western for Boss Nigger, etc.), they're all basically tongue-in-cheek action movies that take concepts done in white cinema and use black actors and language instead. The first thirty minutes ended up being wildly entertaining, but after that the energy level of the room went way down as we saw variations on the same concept over and over.

There were some definite highlights, but designing a 110 minute clip fest was just way too long. Here's hoping that they return to regional cinema action next year.
(Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 pm)

Frank (UK)

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/13/frank

An aspiring hack musician from England named Jon is recruited by American underground pop singer/composer Frank, an eccentric but otherwise jovial man who wears a giant papier-mache doll head at all times. Most of the rest of Frank's band is skeptical, but all six members, jon and Frank included, move to a secluded cabin in the woods of Ireland in order to record their masterpiece album. While they do so, the fish-out-of-water newbie tweets and uploads videos of the recording process, creating a small internet following and allowing them to get a gig at SXSW.

Michael Fassbender as Frank makes this movie. He is brilliant and absolutely charming in spite of his face being hidden behind a giant goofy prop the entire movie. But as light-hearted as that aspect may be, the movie does an excellent job on portraying mental illnesses. While Frank's head is based on that of British comedian Frank Sidebottom, the character has much more in common with a Daniel Johnson or Roky Ericsson: a genius musician who is hampered by mental illness and unfortunately glamorized for it as well. Frank is not alone as his bandmates (including the always adorable Maggie Gyllenhaal) have varying degrees of anti-social behavior and depression. Still, the real outsider is the new guy Jon who has all of the just for fame and stardom, but none of the talent. He serves as a psudo-villain by subtly manipulating Frank into being in the spotlight, sacrificing his mental well-being for potential stardom. But it's done with much ignorance rather than pure greed or malice, preventing him from being a wholly unlikable protagonist.

As someone who in his youth had delusions of being a musician, I could connect with Jon's quest to connect to these legitimately talented people. Everyone's performance was great and Fassbender steals the show while crooning quite convincingly in an Ian Curtis sort of way. Charming and touching. Should be on DVD soon.
(Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 pm)

Wetlands (Germany)

http://fantasiafest.com/2014/en/films-schedule/200/wetlands

A young girl, cuts her anus while shaving and ends up in the hospital for surgery to repair the damage. She cuts back and forth to her adventures as a young child, her time leading up to the injury, and her adventures in the hospital where she tries to pick up a handsome young nurse. Throughout all of this, she gleefully describes all her depraved affronts to hygiene such as trading tampons with her friend, recounting how she orders pizza because she heard cooks at the restaurant jerk off on them, fingering her hemorrhoid, and so forth. Pretty much just a gross-out compilation.

A friend of mine who is German and read the book convinced me to come see this movie. According to her, the book is even more graphic and repulsive, leading me to believe she might have some serious problems or that German people are just fucked up. Anyways, Wetlands will appeal to anyone with a lust for grossness, but didn't do anything for me. There were redeeming factors like the juxtaposition of how sweet and adorable the main character is compared to her words and actions, as well as giving a reason for her twisted mindset near the end of the movie. Much of it was too cringeworthy to really enjoy though.
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: